It was inevitable, Facebook is launching Timeline for Brands for everyone very shortly, whether you like it or not.
The new format has advantages for some and disadvantages for others and at the end of the day it’s up to you whether you’re going to embrace it or not. This is not Facebook for the lazy but for those who want to make the most out of enhancing brand identity and conversation – this Facebook tells more about your brand, but at the same time it requires more effort.
1. Firstly it’s well worth viewing how your Facebook Page will look in the new Timeline format straight away. You will need to go through your past post history to make sure there’s nothing you want to take out as everything is much more visible and posts you truly thought in the past may come back to haunt you – obviously this shouldn’t be as bad as profile page posts but you should still check.
2. Then there’s your cover picture, which needs to be 850 wide by 315 deep. For those who have money to spare you can get a great picture designed, although be aware you may want to update your picture throughout the year so this could become very costly. You can Photoshop your own picture, or you can use one of the many tools on the web. This post by Mashable gives you some of the options and there are a great deal more.
Your cover picture is going to be very important to your brand as so much space is allocated to it, so don’t hold back, get going now.
3. Links. Facebook has removed the links to the left of your Brand Page and given them much more prominence underneath the cover picture – you need to decide what you want to show and this is a great opportunity also to review and update all the information you have there – if you’re like most you may not have done so for a while.
4. Review your history, and if you want to, include more information about your business, why when and where it started, the people behind it etc. This creates more involvement with your audience and so is well worth doing.
5. Private Messages – the new Facebook Timeline Brand Pages allows companies to interact with their customers both publicly and privately. Make use of the Messaging facility when you want to to keep down the clutter on your brand page and resolve issues with customers directly.
Facebook Timeline for Brand Pages is far more relevant to marketing your brand than the social media add-on it was before. This is well worth spending time on right now, as March 30th you’ll be on Timeline regardless.
Come and join me on:
And contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org